7.31.2009

When Black Hair, Child Abuse and YouTube Meet

When Black Hair, Child Abuse and YouTube Meet

Shared via AddThis

I don't think my experience with getting my hair combed was as bad as the child in the video described, but I definitely went through a lot of pain because my mother and grandmother didn't know how to do Black hair unless it was permed, which is why I got one at the age of 6 or 7 and have no idea what the original texture of my hair was. Now that I've gone natural my hair is starting to be healthy again, but I can still see the lasting effects of 15 years of putting harsh chemicals in my hair every 4-6 weeks. And for what? I never liked how thin it was permed, and I've never felt more beautiful as I do when I whip out this curly lion's mane. Below is the trailer for Chris Rock's Good Hair, coming out this October.



ETA: This is the video that she refers to. I can't bring myself to look at it...

ETA 2.0: Here's another good article about the same topic and video.

No comments: