4.14.2011

Movies I'm Looking Forward To: Cowboys and Aliens (July 29th) and Sleeping Beauty (Cannes)

Two very different movies that I just saw the trailers for on /Film.  I love the genre mashup going on in Cowboys and Aliens, and am appalled at how ugly, yet sexy, Daniel Craig is.



Sleeping Beauty looks very eerie and disturbing, but I always tend to like disturbing movies the most because they tend to say something about humans that people are afraid to acknowledge.  You can't really tell from the trailer what the movie is about, but this is not a straight modern retelling of the fairy tale the way Red Riding Hood attempted to do.  The plot goes:
A haunting erotic fairy tale about Lucy, a student who drifts into prostitution and finds her niche as a woman who sleeps, drugged, in a ‘Sleeping Beauty chamber’ while men do to her what she can‘t remember the next morning.
I'm a little annoyed with Emily Browning, but it's probably not completely her fault that she looked like a platinum blonde blow-up doll in Sucker Punch (although, I believe that my Amanda Seyfried would have managed to not look so dumb in all of those promotional pictures).  She has a very interesting face now that I see her in this trailer, not as generic as I thought she was.  The trailer is pretty vague, but I am bothered that I didn't really detect any sort of personality in her character.

No comments: