6.24.2011

Awava Market

I've succumbed to the lure of all of these daily deals websites, and have signed up for a few, most recently Roozt, which is a daily deals site that focuses on eco-friendly/fair trade companies.  Last week I bought my first deal from them, a $50 gift certificate for $25 at Awava Market, a company who's mission is "not one of charity, but of economic empowerment, for you 'give a woman a fish and you feed her for a day.  Teach a woman to fish and you feed her for a lifetime.'  In assisting Awava’s artisans with design and providing Western market access, we at Awava are not only providing a space in which marginalized Women in Uganda can sell their masterpieces, but ensuring that these products will sell."

Gomesi Sun Dress - my favorite!
I couldn't wait to cash in my $50 certificate, so within a couple of days I was searching the site for items that I wanted.  I eyed their one-size-fits-most sundresses for a minute, but decided that I wanted to make my certificate stretch to cover severals items.  In the end, I ended up buying their Binusu Coin Purse (in "Red Leaves"), the Mukimpe Wallet (in "Blue/Orange Guinea"), the Kufumba Basket (in white, which they must have recently sold out of), and the Katono Basket (in purple).

I haven't received my items yet, but I'm excited to have found a place that is supporting Ugandan artisans while providing consumers with beautiful handmade and designed items, and I will be shopping there again.

No comments: