8.07.2010

Blogging Challenge Day 1: Allow Me to Introduce Myself

My profile says a little about me, but I was pseudo anonymous when I started this blog almost 2 years ago and never formally introduced myself.

My name is Denise. I was born in Southeast DC in 1985. When I was four my Mom and I moved to Montgomery County, MD. I could write a whole post on the drastic change in demographics from SE to MoCo, and I may in the future. For now, I'll just say that I greatly benefitted from going to school in a county that houses millionaires, despite my Mom and I being poor.

I had a lonely childhood since I have no siblings and am pathologically shy - I never had more then a handful of friends at a time. Now that I'm older, I can appreciate that having few friends often leads to stronger friendships. From 5th grade until college, my very best friends were always guys. I still find that it's easier for me to socialize with men.

I went to college at Cornell University, which for some reason makes me feel insecure when I tell people. I used to believe that I was extremely smart before I went there; since then I've struggled with the idea that I may still be, but in a weirder way than "smart" is typically defined. Or maybe I just spent K-12 surrounded by morons. Either way, part of my purpose for writing here is to develop my thoughts better, because if forced to talk about something I haven't thought about before, I can sound pretty stupid. I'm significantly better then I was just a year ago, but I still find that it looks like my IQ jumps 30 points when I write instead of speak. I'm probably being a little hard on myself, but I recently realized that the last guy that I dated treated me like I was stupid (he never bothered to get to know me enough to know better), and I find myself wondering if I should continue bothering with the current crush, who may be heading the same direction.

During my junior year at Cornell I came to New Orleans with a group from my school to volunteer and fell in love with this crazy city. There was no doubt in my mind where I was going to live post-graduation, and I've been here for 3 years now. I'm just getting more time to enjoy and explore New Orleans, and I look forward to everything that I learn and experience while here, good and bad.

What else? I'm currently an AmeriCorps member with a non-profit called The Phoenix of New Orleans, and I work at a store in the French Quarter a few days a month. I have no vices other than chocolate. Babies and dogs seem to inexplicably love me, and I'd like at least 2 of each in about 10 years. Erm...that's enough for now. Y'all will know more then enough about me when 30 days are up.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:N Carrollton Ave,New Orleans,United States

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post! Cornell...wow! At 25, you're still trying to figure out who you are so, no...you aren't weird at all. I was pretty much the same way. You'll "bloom" just fine.

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting, and for the idea for these posts. I'm learning a lot about myself already!